Alumnus arrested in phone-tampering plot against senator

Recent alumnus Stan Dai was charged today as an accomplice in a plan to tamper with the phones at Sen. Mary Landreiu’s offices, according to multiple news reports.

The 24-year-old Dai, who was politically active on campus during his stint at GW, helped two men pose as telephone repairmen and try to gain access to the phone system in the New Orleans offices of Landreiu, a Louisiana Democrat, according to an FBI news release.

Before graduating GW in 2007, Dai was involved with a range of conservative groups including The GW Patriot, the Young America’s Foundation, the GW College Republicans, and Colonials For Life, according to a biography of him found at The Phillips Foundation. At The Patriot, he penned an article on a GW professor that served in Iraq and co-wrote a piece titled The Penis Monologues.

Since graduating, he has gone on to work for the Intelligence Community Center of Academic Excellence at Trinity in D.C., according to Media Matters and Majikthise blogger Lindsay Beyerstein.

Dai was arrested along with Joseph Basel, 24, Robert Flanagan, 24, and James O’Keefe, 25. All four declined to comment when approached outside of a Louisiana jail, according to an MSNBC.com report. O’Keefe is known for being the filmmaker that produced a number of undercover videos that questioned the credibility of advocacy group ACORN last September.