Sports in Brief

Women’s squash rises to 20th in national rankings

The GW women’s squash team climbed three spots in the latest national rankings this week, now sitting at No. 20 overall.

The Colonials (3-4) went 2-2 in three games last week at the Yale Round Robin in New Haven, Conn., including a win over previous No. 20 Colby College. GW also beat Bowdoin College and lost to Middlebury and Bates College.

GW will be off for the next two weeks before returning to action at No. 10 Brown Feb. 6. The Colonials’ next home game will be Feb. 13 against Haverford, the first of the team’s three remaining home games this season.

Softball alumna qualifies for Olympic bobsleigh team

Former GW softball player Elana Meyers, who graduated in 2006, has qualified for one of three two-person bobsleigh teams representing the U.S. at the upcoming Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

Meyers was part of GW’s original softball team in 2003 and still holds a number of Colonials career records, including batting average (.356), on-base percentage (.430), hits (202) and stolen bases (130).

She began competing in bobsleigh a year after graduation, making the national team in her first year in 2007. In the years since, Meyers has won bronze and gold World Cup medals and a silver at last year’s World Championships.

Meyers will compete with Erin Pac, a Connecticut native and former track and field athlete at Springfield College.

The preliminary rounds of women’s bobsleigh competition take place Feb. 23, followed by the medal heats the next night. Opening ceremonies will be held Feb. 12 and televised on NBC.

Upcoming Games

Men’s basketball, vs. Richmond, Smith Center, Saturday, 2 p.m.

Women’s basketball, at Villanova, Philadelphia, Pa., Thursday, 7 p.m.
vs. La Salle, Smith Center, Sunday, 1 p.m.

Swimming, vs. Howard, Smith Center, Friday, 6 p.m.

Women’s gymnastics, at West Virginia, Morgantown, W.Va., Sunday, 1 p.m.

Number Crunch: 43

The number of rebounds Dayton grabbed compared to GW’s 30 in Wednesday’s men’s basketball game, which the Flyers won 66-51. The Colonials have now lost three straight Atlantic 10 games.