Language Center receives renovations

Web Exclusive

Renovations to expand and repurpose the Phillips Hall Language Lab were completed Monday at a cost of $110,000, a University administrator said this week.

Two existing rooms on the second floor of Phillips Hall have been reconfigured to create a larger Language Center, which will offer a computer lab and two new technology-oriented classroom spaces. Students and language professors will be able to study, complete oral testing, and watch foreign-language movies, said Young-Key Kim-Renaud, acting director of the Language Center.

Kim-Renaud, who is also a professor of Korean language, said the project was an effort to use the space provided to them “more efficiently and to provide an up-to-date technology environment for teaching, learning, research and other activities.”

“At the Language Center, two big rooms, a classroom and a media room, both of which had old wires and old equipment, are now being converted into a three-room complex, with a seminar room, a computer classroom, and a tutoring room,” Kim-Renaud said in an e-mail. Director of Project Management Arthur Bean said Peg Barratt, dean of the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences, requested the renovation.

“The Language Center will now have a dedicated computer lab with space for student tutoring, a conference-style classroom, and a new classroom which will feature student computer stations and a new [audiovisual] system for teaching,” Bean said.

Bean said the space will also accommodate student employees and three new offices.

Emily Cahn contributed to this report.