Three ways for grilled cheese

Two simple ingredients, three flavorful meals. Bread and cheese can go a long way in a college student’s diet, and these variations can serve for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The best part – cheap, cheap, cheap. Even if you don’t have a kitchen, these versions of the classic grilled cheese can be easily adapted. Simply buy a grilled cheese from any place nearby, open it up at home and add in your favorite condiments, meats and veggies.

Breakfast: Croque Madame

Ingredients:
2 slices bread of your choice
3 slices of gruy?re or Swiss cheese
2 slices of ham
1 egg
2 tbsp butter

Instructions:

1. Heat pan with 1 tbsp butter. Layer two slices of cheese and ham in between bread. Place sandwich in pan. Cook each side for 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
  2. While the sandwich is cooking, heat in another pan 1 tbsp of butter. Crack egg into pan, making sure the yolk doesn’t break. Cook the fried egg for 3 to 5 minutes, making sure the egg white is fully cooked.
  3. When the sandwich is almost done cooking, place one slice of cheese on top and cover; allow to melt.
  4. Place egg on top of sandwich, and you’re ready to start your day with this French standard.

Lunch: Grilled Cheese with Avocado and Turkey

Ingredients:
2 slices of bread of your choice
2 slices of cheese of your choice
2 slices of turkey
Half of an avocado
1 tbsp butter or olive oil

Instructions:

1. Cut avocado in half, taking out the pit. Score the avocado length wise, and scoop out slices with a spoon.
  2. Heat pan with butter or olive oil.
  3. Combine ingredients in between the two slices of bread and cook for 3 minutes per side, or until golden and melted.
  4. Make your friends jealous with a gourmet lunch that didn’t cost an arm and a leg.

Dinner: Open-faced Grilled Cheese with Chicken Breast and Peppers

Ingredients:
1 or 2 slices of bread of your choice
2 slices of cheese (gruy?re or crumbled goat cheese is best)
1 chicken breast
1 bell pepper
3 tbsp olive oil

Instructions:

1. Slice chicken breast into thin slices. Season with salt and pepper. Heat pan with 2 tbsp olive oil and add chicken.
  2. While chicken is cooking, slice peppers into slices. Add to chicken and cook together for around 10 minutes until chicken is golden brown and peppers are soft.
  3. Assemble sandwich by layering the ingredients. Reheat pan with 1 tbsp of olive oil and cook in pan until cheese melts. Eat immediately or your friends might steal it.