Two simple ingredients, three flavorful meals. Bread and cheese can go a long way in a college student’s diet, and these variations can serve for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The best part – cheap, cheap, cheap. Even if you don’t have a kitchen, these versions of the classic grilled cheese can be easily adapted. Simply buy a grilled cheese from any place nearby, open it up at home and add in your favorite condiments, meats and veggies.
Breakfast: Croque Madame
2 slices bread of your choice
3 slices of gruy?re or Swiss cheese
2 slices of ham
2 tbsp butter
- Heat pan with 1 tbsp butter. Layer two slices of cheese and ham in between bread. Place sandwich in pan. Cook each side for 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- While the sandwich is cooking, heat in another pan 1 tbsp of butter. Crack egg into pan, making sure the yolk doesn’t break. Cook the fried egg for 3 to 5 minutes, making sure the egg white is fully cooked.
- When the sandwich is almost done cooking, place one slice of cheese on top and cover; allow to melt.
- Place egg on top of sandwich, and you’re ready to start your day with this French standard.
Lunch: Grilled Cheese with Avocado and Turkey
2 slices of bread of your choice
2 slices of cheese of your choice
2 slices of turkey
Half of an avocado
1 tbsp butter or olive oil
- Cut avocado in half, taking out the pit. Score the avocado length wise, and scoop out slices with a spoon.
- Heat pan with butter or olive oil.
- Combine ingredients in between the two slices of bread and cook for 3 minutes per side, or until golden and melted.
- Make your friends jealous with a gourmet lunch that didn’t cost an arm and a leg.
Dinner: Open-faced Grilled Cheese with Chicken Breast and Peppers
1 or 2 slices of bread of your choice
2 slices of cheese (gruy?re or crumbled goat cheese is best)
1 chicken breast
1 bell pepper
3 tbsp olive oil
- Slice chicken breast into thin slices. Season with salt and pepper. Heat pan with 2 tbsp olive oil and add chicken.
- While chicken is cooking, slice peppers into slices. Add to chicken and cook together for around 10 minutes until chicken is golden brown and peppers are soft.
- Assemble sandwich by layering the ingredients. Reheat pan with 1 tbsp of olive oil and cook in pan until cheese melts. Eat immediately or your friends might steal it.