Meghan McCain will speak at GW in February

Editor’s note: Representatives from the GW College Republicans stated later in the week that the group would pull its financial support for the event, saying that Allied in Pride President Michael Komo was not forthcoming about the topic of McCain’s speech

Correction appended

Meghan McCain, daughter of the former Republican presidential candidate, Sen. John McCain, will be the keynote speaker of Allied in Pride’s “Marriage Equality Week.”

At an event called “Redefining Republican: No Labels, No Boxes, No Stereotypes” on Feb. 9, McCain is expected to speak about the future of the Republican party. A columnist for The Daily Beast and author of a forthcoming book, she has written publicly in support of gay marriage.

“She’s a different type of Republican,” said Michael Komo, president of Allied in Pride. “We thought her input would be helpful on the subject of marriage and the future of the GOP.”

Megan Simpson, a member of the Graduate School of Political Management Student Association, a cosponsor of the event, said she was looking forward to hearing McCain’s speech.

“[McCain] shows our generation that party choice needn’t hinder our ability to stay true to the values we each possess,” Simpson said.

Program Board is also cosponsoring the event, along with cosponsorships from the Student Association, College Republicans and law fraternity Phi Alpha Delta.

“She has invaluable input because of her experience in the McCain family,” Komo said. “She’s been privy to information and experiences that would be very insightful [for the GW community].”

Two hundred tickets to the event, which will be held in the Jack Morton Auditorium, will be available to students on a first-come, first-served basis. Komo said Allied in Pride did not yet know how students would go about requesting tickets.

The article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

The article originally referred to the Graduate School of Political Management as the Graduate School of Public Management.