Founding director of the Graduate School of Political Management to step down in July

Chris Arterton, director of the Graduate School of Political Management, has announced on GSPM’s Web site his plans to step down effective July 1, saying the school has grown immensely since its inception and is well-placed to continue on with a new director.

Arterton has been with the school since 1987 and has served as its first director, watching it grow from a tiny program with 450 students to a top school of political management with over 1,800 alumni.

“In making this announcement I am thrilled by what we have achieved, and am excited about my future role in making The Graduate School of Political Management the world’s premier school of practical politics,” Arterton said in the announcement.

The College of Professional Studies and the Graduate School of Political Management will launch a nationwide search for the new director, and Chuck Cushman, the associate dean for academic excellence in the College of Professional Studies will assume the role of acting executive director until the new one is named, according to the announcement.

Arterton said he will “concentrate fully on teaching, research, writing and the Institute for Politics, Democracy and the Internet.”