Univ. submits six buildings for historic status

Web Exclusive

Six on-campus buildings will be submitted for landmark nominations in a Jan. 28 hearing, a staff member involved in the process said.

Madison, Fulbright, JBKO, Munson, the John J. Earley Office and Studio at 2131 G Street and the H.B. Burns Memorial Building at 2150 Pennsylvania Avenue will all be submitted to the Historic Preservation Office as historical landmarks, said John Ralls, the senior adviser for communications and outreach in the Office of the Executive Vice President and Treasurer, in an e-mail.

“The recently nominated landmark buildings were selected [during the review of the 2007 Foggy Bottom Campus Plan] since they relate to either the historic context of late-19th century development of the Foggy Bottom and West End areas and pre-World War II apartment buildings or, in the case of the Earley House and Studio, an association with a person of historical significance,” Ralls said.

The submission is part of the Historic Preservation Plan, a part of the 2007 Foggy Bottom Campus Plan, Ralls said. The plan also seeks to carve out a new historic district within the Foggy Bottom campus.

The Foggy Bottom Association, a community group helmed by two recent GW graduates, had appealed the 20-year plan for two years, and though the group lost the majority of the appeal, it succeeded in challenging the methodology the University uses to calculate the number of students at GW.

The implementation of the Historic Preservation Plan commenced this summer after the D.C. Court of Appeals upheld the University’s plan, Ralls said.

“The Zoning Commission’s approval of the 2007 Foggy Bottom Campus Plan called for GW to finalize its plan within 60 days of resolution of legal appeals,” Ralls said. “As such, in November, GW submitted the six individual landmark designations as well as provided supporting research for the potential historic district to the D.C. Historic Preservation Office who will pursue the creation of the historic district.”