Thefts, stalking reported over break

Incidences of theft, fraud, robberies, disorderly conduct, harassment, and destruction occurred on and around campus over winter break, University Police Chief Dolores Stafford said.

Stafford said several individuals reported bizarre behavior constituting harassment and stalking to UPD, including a Jan. 4 report from several staff members regarding phone calls from a male subject about coursework he had completed at GW. Stafford said the report noted “the subject would then continue to ramble on about other topics not related to GWU that he wanted to discuss.”

Also on Jan. 4, a student reported to UPD that she received calls and texts from a male subject not affiliated with GW, and that the subject came to her place of residence on two occasions when he was not welcome, Stafford said.

Multiple incidences of theft, robberies and fraud were also reported to UPD and the Metropolitan Police Department. The most violent was the Dec. 22 arrest of a group of seven boys and girls that allegedly beat and robbed a woman Tuesday morning on Pennsylvania Avenue near 26th Street, MPD Commander Matt Klein said in an e-mail to Second District residents. The group was seen running near Ivory Tower when MPD officers chased and stopped it. Members of the group were all identified as being involved in the robbery.

A subject not affiliated with the University was arrested in the Marvin Center bookstore after staff members observed him stealing property on Dec. 28, Stafford said.

Stafford said on Jan. 1, a woman reported a domestic dispute on the corner of 23rd and G streets. The woman reported that the father of her children had been arguing with her and forcibly grabbed her wallet and cell phone and fled. UPD canvassed the area and called MPD, but the woman “grew tired of waiting,” Stafford said.

Also on Jan. 1, UPD was approached by an unknown individual concerning an intoxicated subject. Stafford said officers observed the subject unconscious, hanging out of a taxicab. The subject was not affiliated with the University and was transported to GW Hospital, Stafford said.