GW graduate killed in Afghanistan

A 1994 GW graduate was laid to rest in his hometown Jan. 9 after being killed last month in a suicide bombing at a U.S. base in Afghanistan.

Harold E. Brown, Jr. was one of seven Americans killed by a terrorist attack Dec. 30 in Afghanistan’s Khost Province, near Pakistan.

Brown, 37, was a native of Bolton, Mass. and was a resident of Fairfax, Va. at the time of his death.

He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in political science from GW and is survived by his wife, Janet, who is also a GW graduate. They married in 1994 and have three children.

Brown’s cremated remains were buried in Bolton after his funeral service at St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church in Clinton, Mass.

CIA Director Leon E. Panetta told employees Dec. 31 that seven CIA officers were killed and six others were injured in the attack at Forward Operating Base Chapman.

According to the Associated Press, the Taliban has taken responsibility for the terrorist attack.

Brown’s mother, Barbara Brown, told The Boston Globe last month that her son was working for the State Department at the time of his death and had been sent to Afghanistan in April.

Fred Lash, a spokesman for the State Department, said Dec. 31 that seven people were killed at the base, and all worked for the CIA.

The CIA had not released the names of those killed in the attack.

Lash said it was possible that Brown worked for the State Department at some point, but said all those killed were working for the CIA at the time.

Prior to working for the State Department, Brown became an Army Officer and later joined the Army Reserve.

Along with his degree from GW, Brown earned a Master’s of Business Administration from the University of Phoenix. He also worked for Shareholder.com and for a private defense contractor, according to The Boston Globe.