GW completes 46,000 service hours in first semester

The GW community to date has completed 46,008 hours of community service, the University announced last week.

This announcement means the University is about 4,000 hours shy of the halfway point for first lady Michelle Obama’s service challenge

With half the academic year complete, the GW community must now complete another 53,992 hours before May 16 in order to meet Obama’s challenge and secure Obama as Commencement speaker.

A few large community service projects are planned for the spring semester, which administrators say will help bring the University closer to accomplishing Obama’s 100,000 community service hours goal.

One large community service project is the Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service, where students, faculty and staff will help spruce up a public school in the District. Last year, more than 700 students participated in the annual event.

Another large community service event is alternative spring break, where hundreds of students will spend their time off from school rebuilding houses in New Orleans destroyed by Hurricane Katrina, or spending a week in Tulsa, Okla., with the Cherokee Nation completing community service projects.

Students who partake in community service projects should log their hours on the VolunteerMatch system located on the Office of Community Service’s Web site.