Women’s basketball loses fifth straight

The road woes continued for the GW women’s basketball team this weekend, as a poor shooting performance at Auburn Saturday sent the Colonials to their fifth loss in a row, all of them coming away from home.

In the 62-43 loss, the Colonials (2-5) barely shot 30 percent from the floor as the Tigers converted 45.5 percent of their shots. GW did feature three double-digit scorers, led by sophomore Tiana Myers’ 15 points, but used only eight players in the game due to injuries. Despite GW’s meager bench, head coach Mike Bozeman does not believe that now is the time to quit.

“It’s not time to feel sorry for ourselves,” he said. “It’s time to buckle up and start applying some of these lessons that we’re learning.”

Bozeman spoke of lessons the team was learning in practice and during real games, as their injuries have slowed the growth of the team but have also given way for younger players to make their mark.

“We’re just really banged up,” he said. “People may not realize this, but this was supposed to be [injured redshirt junior] Ivy Abiona’s breakout year… We don’t have the luxury of bringing [the freshmen] along slowly because of the numbers situation.”

In addition to Myers scoring 15 points, freshman forwards Shi-Heria Shipp and Megan Nipe, who came off the bench, each put in 10. Meanwhile, sophomore forward/guard Tara Booker was taken out of the starting lineup and managed just five points on two-of-11 shooting in 34 minutes. She also had four turnovers.

Despite the 19-point win, Auburn committed 26 turnovers compared to GW’s 24, and coach Bozeman believes the game was won due to GW’s miscues rather than Auburn’s successes.

“In all due respect to Auburn, it wasn’t as much Auburn as it was us,” he said. “If you look at the box score, they scored the same amount of points in each half. It wasn’t that they were doing anything better, it was just that we were playing better in the second half.”

GW took 56 shots from the field, and Bozeman acknowledged that not all of them were exactly what he wanted to see.

“One area where you need to transition from high school to college is taking a real shot,” he said. “All of them count that go above the rim, but all of them aren’t good shots.”

After being on the road since Nov. 22, the team is looking forward to coming back home to play six out of their next seven games in Foggy Bottom.

“These guys have to learn on the run and our schedule hasn’t been very inviting for that,” Bozeman said. “It’s not like we’re playing cupcakes and we’re blowing games. This is the meat of our schedule.”

“We need home cooking,” he said. “We need to come back home and put on a good performance against Marshall and get back on the winning road.”

The Marshall game, GW’s next, is scheduled for 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Smith Center.