Holiday Guide: Ten gifts under $10 for this holiday season

At the end of the semester, with Colonial Cash dwindling and debit cards running dry, it’s hard for us to feel in the spirit of giving for the holidays. As many of us have exhausted whatever mommy-money rations we had back in October, here is a list of 10 gifts under $10 for a fun, but budget-conscious holiday season.

1. Let her express herself!

GW’s most convenient ladies’ clothing store, Expressions at 2000 Penn, offers a wealth of exciting clothing and accessory options. For a limited time, their faux-pearl earrings and dangling jewel earrings are on sale for $10 or less. Your mother, sister, girlfriend, or other special lady won’t ever guess you paid with your GWorld!

Expressions
2000 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
www.expressionsfashion.net

2. Tea?

Venture out near the White House or Dupont for a unique café experience at one of Teaism’s two close-campus locations. Choose from a more modern style of stackable tea cups priced at $7 each or a richly detailed terracotta mug priced at $10 for the folks back home.

Teaism
800 Connecticut Ave. NW (Near the White House)
2009 R St. NW (Near Dupont Circle)
www.teaism.com

3. Mirror, Mirror.

While you’re out at Dupont, take a look in Lou Lou, a ladies’ accessory store. If you’re on a tight budget, look past the scarves and purses (cute as they are) and take a moment to reflect with a clasp mirror at $5. Clasped like a wallet, this two-face mirror is protected by colorful leather with rich embroidered details.

4. Keep up with change.

Every girl hates losing change in the bottom of her purse. Also at Lou Lou, invest in a fun-size beaded or embroidered change purse, both under $10.

Lou Lou
1601 Connecticut Ave. NW
(202) 588-0027

5. Books, books, books!

With first semester winding down, you want to make sure your parents see you’ve learned a thing or two since you left home this summer. Pick up something intellectual at Bartleby’s Bookshop or Bridge St. Books (where discount novels go as low at $5) for Mom and Dad, or Grandma and Grandpa, to show how smart you are.

Bartleby’s Books
1132 29th St. NW
www.bartlebysbooks.com

Bridge St. Books
2814 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
www.bridgestreetbooks.com

6. What about our “best friends?”

I know I’ve got several friends of the four-legged variety back home expecting to be spoiled when I return. Stop by the Georgetown Pet Boutique to browse adorable selections of pet clothes, and maybe grab a bag of gourmet doggy treats or a porcelain water bowl, both for under $10!

Georgetown Pet Boutique
2910 M St. NW
www.georgetownpetboutique.com

9. Anyone got a sweet tooth?

Don’t make the sad mistake of leaving GW without trying a cupcake from Georgetown Cupcake. Spread the love with nationwide shipping. Cupcakes start at $2.75 a piece. If you’re really on a budget, I recommend ordering online at georgetowncupcake.com to avoid buying one for yourself!

Georgetown Cupcake
1209 Potomac St. NW
www.georgetowncupcake.com

8. Take note.

We’ve all seen those hipster artists and thinkers sitting aside, sipping tea and scribbling mysterious nothings in their Moleskine notebooks. To get the same legendary journal at more than 75 percent off in pocket-size, invest in the Moleskine’s little-brother notebook for $5.95 at Paper Source in Georgetown.

9. Spread a little love, wisdom, peace…

Who is a better ambassador of holiday charm than the Buddha himself? Well, maybe Santa Claus, but bear with me. For $2.75 each, Paper Source offers 1.5-inch stylized Buddhas each representing either love, faith, happiness, harmony, peace, or wisdom. Pick them up for friends back home as little reminders of the important things.

Paper Source
3019 M St. NW
www.paper-source.com

10. Get a little unique.

Fred Flare is a great Web site with some of the most unique gifts around. They have a whole under-$10 section, from cupcake floss to a harmonica necklace. One of the best, though, is the candy cane shot glass. With some chocolate-flavored vodka, these $9 shot glasses will make the best peppermint patty shot.

www.fredflare.com