Holiday Guide: Out with the new and in with the old

A cute shirt, necklace or purse is always a great gift option. But how are you going to prevent your friend from looking like every other girl walking down M Street? Take a chance, go against the flow and show your friends this holiday season how special they are to you. Get them a one-of-a-kind piece from a boutique outside of your usual realm of stores by hitting up some thrift or vintage shops. These little gems have great mixes of vintage clothing, shoes, accessories, designs from local artists and even stuff for guys. Here are a few of our picks that take you outside the GW bubble.

Meeps Vintage

Meeps Vintage Fashionette is one of D.C.’s oldest and highly acclaimed vintage shops, located in Adams Morgan since 1992. Meeps has been awarded D.C.’s Best Vintage Store by the Washington City Paper for two years in a row. Its quirky name comes from the founding owner’s grandmother, and the idea of presenting the best wearable vintage fashions is still top priority today. Meeps offers clothes for both men and women, including accessories, costumes and handmade items from local designers. Prices range from $10 to $100. Meeps is a true vintage store; expect to spend time browsing through all the racks in search of something that’s unique and inspiring.

Meeps Vintage Fashionette
2104 18th St. NW

Treasury

Treasury is a concept boutique on U Street that offers an eclectic mix of clothes, shoes and trinkets from estate sales, road trips and auctions. This shop just opened its doors this past summer. Treasury is a bit smaller, but the cozy atmosphere and meticulously designed space makes it very welcoming. Everything is amazingly affordable, from the clothing to the accessories. You can find a great pair of chunky gold earrings for five dollars, or beaded long necklaces and cool stretchy belts that add an edge to any sweater.

Treasury
1843 14th St. NW

Junction

Junction, also on U Street, is a basement-level store cheerfully decorated in orange, reds and whites with what looks like doodles as part of the wallpaper. Junction won The Express’ 2009 Best Vintage Store award, and every item is handpicked by owner Shannan Fales. Sprinkled among the vintage items are some handmade items by local crafts people. There are two racks of menswear and among all the great finds are unique items like old typewriters and kitchenware.

Junction
1510 U St. NW