Early decision to become more selective after surge in applications

Despite a dramatic increase in early decision applications, a top admissions official estimated Monday that the University will admit the same number of early applicants as last year, making the incoming early decision process substantially more selective.

Kathryn Napper, executive dean of Undergraduate Admissions, said despite a 24 percent increase in Early Decision I applications, GW will accept the same number of students – 900 – through its Early Decision I and Early Decision II programs as last year. ED I applications were due Nov. 10 and ED II applications are due Jan. 10. More than 1,600 people applied Early Decision I this year.

“As we have not finished with even the first round of early decision, the 900 number is an estimate but is similar in number to our admits for both rounds of early decision last year,” Napper said in an e-mail.

Board of Trustees chairman Russell Ramsey said in an interview that he was optimistic the University will continue to see a record number of applicants for the binding admissions process.

“We want to keep increasing the attractiveness of the University and early indications appear that this might be a record application year,” Ramsey said at a recent Board of Trustees meeting.

While the unexpected increase in applicants is good news for University administrators, it will be that much harder for Early Decision I applicant Alexandra Klein of Emerson, N.J., who said she fell in love with GW during her first campus visit.

“When I first found out about the increase in early decision applicants, I will admit I felt more weight being added onto my shoulders,” Klein said in an e-mail. “I’d like to believe I have a better chance than anyone but the truth is I don’t. This definitely affects my chances of getting in because there is a bigger pool of students to look at, and I just might not be what they are looking for.”