Staff Editorial: Join our editorial board

The Hatchet’s editorial board has long strived to be an important outlet for critical thought and representative of student voice on campus. Our goal is to identify, analyze and provide solutions to major issues affecting the GW community. With that goal in mind, we hope to further the effectiveness and capabilities of our staff editorials by accepting two new members to the editorial board.

The different methods and practices of creating staff editorials are almost as varied as newspapers themselves. Some papers incorporate dozens of writers, editors and outsiders in the process, while others restrict the editorial board to solely the top editorial positions of the paper. The Hatchet has generally drawn from among its editorial and production ranks to fulfill all the positions of the board. We are expanding that membership to include two non-Hatchet individuals who will focus solely on the staff editorial process.

There are a number of reasons we have decided to seek two new members. An increased membership will give us more resources to investigate and research issues surrounding the GW community and potential solutions to those challenges. Recognizing that insulation and groupthink are always potential issues for groups like editorial boards, we aim to proactively include outside perspectives to ensure that we are never victim to stagnation of ideas or an irrelevant agenda. To guarantee such a perspective, one of the few restrictions on the application will be the exclusion of any students who have worked for The Hatchet at any point this semester.

The ideal candidate should be greatly informed about problems relevant to this school. The Hatchet’s editorial board is a group driven by consensus and, as a result, people wishing to join must be willing to reach compromise on the issues discussed. They should have a critical eye, and the aptitude to develop persuasive arguments and solutions to present to the editorial board.

If you are interested in making a difference on campus, we encourage you to apply for the position. An application can be found on The Hatchet’s Web site. We also encourage you to stop by our townhouse today from 4:30 to 6:00 p.m. for The Hatchet’s Student Coffeehouse, to give us general feedback but also to allow us to answer any questions you have. We look forward to hearing from you.

Readers can visit the Forum to comment on this editorial.