All-female panel to preside over moot court

For the first time in the event’s history, the GW Law School’s annual Van Vleck Moot Court in January will host an all-female panel of judges, law school Dean Frederick Lawrence said last week.

The three panelists will include Second Circuit Court of Appeals Judge Debra Livingston and Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Judges Sandra Ikuta and Susan Graber.

“Having an all-female panel makes a strong statement,” Lawrence said. “It’s not that long ago that you started having women on the court. Now they are making an extensive impact [on] the justice system.”

The competition – in which students argue cases in front of private and government lawyers – will be held on Jan. 28 and has featured Supreme Court justices three times since 2006, including Supreme Court Justices Antonin Scalia and Samuel Alito and Chief Justice John Roberts. Current Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor presided in 2006, before she was named to the high court.

“You can’t always have a Supreme Court justice,” Lawrence said jokingly. “There are only nine of them.”

This year’s judges are well-known in the justice system, Lawrence said. Livingston continues to teach as a professor of law at Columbia Law School, Ikuta formally clerked for Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor and Graber is known for writing poignant dissents.

In an interview, Ikuta said she was “delighted” to participate in the moot court. “It’s wonderful to have an all-female panel,” she added.

Jocelyn Bond, a student member of the moot court board, said exceptional panels have always presided over the Van Vleck finals.

“This year is no exception” Bond said. “I am delighted to have three distinguished appellate court judges presiding this year.”

Graber, who said she has never been to GW, said she often participates in moot court competitions, adding that it will be a “great pleasure” to serve on GW’s panel.

“Every year I try to participate in moot court competitions, as well as in other kinds of educational activities,” Graber said.

Lauren French contributed to this report.