Bench warrant issued for man arrested for violating restraining order

This post was written by Hatchet Reporter Kira Brekke.

A man arrested for unlawful entry after violating a restraining order held by a student has been missing for more than month and there is an outstanding bench warrant for his arrest.

Shane Stephen Conrad, a 19-year-old Orange County resident, was arrested on Sept. 15 after his ex-girlfriend, a GW student, spotted him entering the GW mail packaging room, a violation of a restraining order which bars him from entering GW property, according to court documents.

The student, whose name is being withheld due to privacy concerns, called the University Police Department and officers identified Conrad as someone who had been barred from campus, University Police Chief Dolores Stafford said.

Conrad was due in D.C. Superior Court court on Oct. 1, but failed to show up, according to court documents. Judge Elizabeth Wingo issued a bench warrant for his arrest, and his bond is set at $250 cash.

The student said she and Conrad met in high school and dated for two years, but things quickly turned unpleasant for the former couple when he moved to D.C. She said she filed a restraining order in California where she spent her summer, but he returned to D.C. in the fall and she then filed another order in D.C.

Sheila Miller, a spokesperson for the U.S. Attorney’s Office, said police do not actively search for defendants like Conrad, but that he would be returned to court if he was stopped by police and a search on his name was performed.

Donna Beasely, Conrad’s attorney, did not return requests for comment.