After exhibition, Hobbs says shot selection, defense need work

This post was written by Hatchet Reporter Neil Sharma.

The GW men’s basketball team definitely seemed to take care of business with a convincing 78-44 win over Division II West Georgia in Saturday afternoon’s preseason exhibition, but while head coach Karl Hobbs said he is happy with the victory, he still thinks there are things his team needs to work on.

“A concern that I have is our shot selection, particularly from three-point range,” said Hobbs. “Also understanding what’s a good three. I think we’re a very good shooting team, we have good shooters; but I think we had some good shooters taking bad shots today.”

GW took a number of threes early on in the game, making only three of twelve in the first half. They were not much better in the second half, connecting on two of eight attempts to finish 5-for-20 overall. Luckily for GW, West Georgia was worse, making four of their 20 three-pointers for the game.

Hobbs also said he was not happy about his team’s turnovers. They had 18 in the game.

“I think we gotta do a little bit better job at taking care of the ball,” he said. “We’ve gotta focus a little better on our half-court execution.”

Despite forcing 27 turnovers themselves on defense and winning the turnover battle, Hobbs said he thought the Colonials’ defense could improve.

“(I) wasn’t too pleased about our man-to-man defense in the first half,” Hobbs said. “That’s gonna be a real challenge for us because we’re young and we’re playing so many young guys who are playing college basketball for the first time. Being able to read screens and talk their way through it is gonna take some time.”

In the end, it was a win for the Colonials, one that included signs of promise before the regular season begins.

“Overall, I thought the young guys played well and once we settled in during the second half, we were fine,” Hobbs said.

For a young team with six freshman and only two seniors, mistakes will inevitably happen. The challenge for GW this year will be to learn how to eliminate those mistakes in a short amount of time with players who are not overly experienced. But with a team like GW, one with a lot of raw talent that plays an exciting brand of basketball, you never know what could happen.