Former student, accused of stalking professor, declared competent to stand trial

Web Exclusive

Sushila Gaur, a former GW student who is facing charges for unlawfully entering the Elliott School, was deemed competent to stand trial this week.

Gaur was arrested Sept. 23 for allegedly unlawfully entering the Elliott School building at 1957 E St. She had previously been barred from all GW property following various incidents of inappropriate behavior, including stalking a professor, according to court documents.

“She was barred on December 15, 2008 from GW property for on-going harassment of a member of the GW community. She was not a student at that time,” University Police Chief Dolores Stafford said in an e-mail. “She did not heed the warning of the bar notice, came to campus, and was subsequently arrested without incident.”

Gaur had been examined by another doctor earlier in October who had deemed her incompetent to participate in court proceedings because Gaur did not have a rational understanding of the charge against her, according to court documents. But almost a month after that examination, Dr. Nancy Ingraham conducted an assessment, which declared Gaur to be competent. Gaur was released from custody on Oct. 22, the day of Ingraham’s examination, according to court documents.

Ingraham referenced Gaur’s previous mental diagnoses, including bipolar disorder, but noted in her report that upon examination, Gaur was “alert, cooperative, polite, fully oriented, and in no acute distress” and was able to understand the charges against her.

Bridget Harris, a spokesperson for the U.S. Attorney’s Office, said Gaur’s case would continue on in court and that her next appearance had been scheduled for Nov. 10.

An attorney for Gaur could not be reached for comment.