Georgetown student assaulted while wearing gay rights shirt

A female Georgetown student was harassed and assaulted earlier this week while wearing a t-shirt supporting gay rights, The Hoya reported.

Georgetown’s Department of Public Safety categorized the crime as a “Hate or Bias Related incident.” According to the DPS Public Safety Alert, two unknown white males made derogatory comments to the student based on her perceived sexual orientation.

The assault occurred Tuesday night just after 9 p.m. while the student was walking on Canal Road near the entrance to the Georgetown campus.

“The complainant reported that she was wearing a shirt with a logo indicating support for gay rights. The suspects would not allow the complainant to pass by, then took her book bag and taunted her. They hit her on her upper torso, pushed her to the pavement, and struck her with the book bag. The suspects left the scene heading west on Canal Road towards Foxhall Road,” according to the alert.

The complete version of the PSA is available on the DPS Web site.

GU Pride members and other students planned to wear t-shirts Friday supporting gay rights similar to the one the student was wearing at the time of the attack.

Metropolitan Police is now in charge of the incident’s investigation. MPD’s Gay and Lesbian Liaison Unit will be brought in to help with the investigation, WJLA reports.

The incident occurred just a day before President Barack Obama signed a bill to extend hate crime protections.