Queens dazzle despite drizzle

In a night of raindrops, glitter and feathers, thousands of cross-dressers and their fans gathered in Dupont Circle Tuesday for D.C.’s 24th annual High Heels Race.

The event, which occurs each year on the Tuesday before Halloween, features men extravagantly dressed up as women – high heels and all – who sprint down the block of 17th Street between P and Q streets as a celebration of D.C.’s gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community.

Runners strutted their stuff in a pre-race parade that featured cheerleaders with metallic pom poms and neon-clad dancers. The runway show gave participants a chance to show off their costumes, which many of which were impersonations that ranged from Michael Jackson to Michelle Rhee, the chancellor of D.C. public schools.

Volunteers for the event routinely had to corral the ever-growing crowds of enthusiastic spectators back onto the sidewalks.

“I wasn’t expecting so many people for how much rain there was, but it seems like everyone’s into it and it seems like everyone’s having a good time,” sophomore Ryan Welsh said.

A runner dressed as Madonna said the wet weather would not intimidate him.

“Oh hell, waterproof mascara, we’re good,” the man said.

D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty, who has attended the race for the last four years, did some running himself when he dropped his picture-posing duties and rushed to the starting line to officially kick off the race at 9 p.m.

“It’s a great community event,” Fenty said. “Lots of energy and excitement. Very positive vibe.”

Despite the slippery track conditions, the mayor said the rain did not affect the race at all.

“I think more people came out because of the rain,” Fenty said.

A runner who gave his name as Dusty Bumpers was dressed as a parody of Congress’ “Cash for Clunkers” program, and said that the road conditions were terrible.

“I participated in the race very badly. I was running on fumes and I had significant mechanical difficulties and a flat tire,” he joked.

“I suck every year that I participate because it’s not really about the running. It’s about the experience,” he added.

Swine Flu, a runner who said he has an affiliation with GW, finished the race in the middle of the pack.

“There’s some pretty athletic drag queens around here, but I did fine,” he said.

A pre-race party hosted by GW’s sophomore Class Council was relocated from Kogan Plaza to the Marvin Center to accommodate the inclement weather.

Sophomore Danielle Collier said she attended the event for the feathered boas and free cake.

But the drag race also attracted students with its creativity and excitement.

“It’s on the 100 things to do on GW’s little list, so we decided we should come,” said sophomore Matt Hellman, who attended the race with a friend. “And I mean I have a logic exam tomorrow, so I needed a little break before I start studying right?” u