D.C. city councilmember addresses Foggy Bottom Association

D.C. City Councilmember Jack Evans, D-Ward 2, spoke to concerned community members about Foggy Bottom issues that included the pending K Street Transitway, the controversial Stevens School decision and the Circulator bus Tuesday at the Foggy Bottom Association’s monthly meeting.

Evans spoke of his decision to fight the deputy mayor’s office’s choice of Equity Residential to develop the Stevens School site at 21st and L streets. Residents had long expressed concern that Equity, the company behind 2400 M, would create a building that students would use for off-campus housing, and Evans said he immediately spoke to D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty about the issue.

“I called the mayor and said it was unacceptable and to cancel the news conference, which he did,” Evans said. “We don’t want another residential building here that’s going to turn into a dorm.”

Evans also urged residents to participate in the process when the developers present proposals for the West End Library and fire station, saying “You should participate because it gives you the high ground.”

Evans spoke of a desire to expand the Circulator bus service, and called for a new plan for the K Street transitway.

“When I drive on K Street, the serviceways are always blocked,” Evans said. “What we have just doesn’t work.”

Evans said bikes and buses should both be accomodated in the new plan and that “Nobody is happy with what [DDOT] has put on the table.”