Volleyball splits at home

For the third straight weekend, the women’s volleyball team took the court twice and came away with both a win and a loss, edging Xavier 3-2 Friday night before being swept 3-0 by Dayton Sunday afternoon.

The Colonials (18-8, 5-4 Atlantic 10) traded sets with the visiting Musketeers Friday night, winning the first and third and dropping the fourth and second. The first two were decided by the minimum two points, with GW taking the third by three and Xavier running away with the fourth 25-11.

In the fifth set, the Colonials came within one point of losing the match altogether as Xavier reached 14 points – one away from the 15 needed to win the final set – on junior Leah Hill’s attack error. Hill then rallied to provide consecutive kills that tied the set’s score at 14 apiece.

The teams exchanged a few more points, neither pulling ahead by the necessary two until a block by seniors Katie Butz and Abby Syverson put GW ahead 18-16 and sealed the victory.

Butz led the Colonials with 23.5 points, while freshman Lauren Whyte added 18.5. Sophomore setter Alyssa Valentine tallied 54 assists in the match, while freshman libero Candace-Silva Martin had a team-best 30 digs.

Sunday saw no such fortune for the Colonials, as Dayton cruised easily past GW, winning each of the game’s three sets by at least seven points. The first-place Flyers, who have yet to lose in A-10 play, out-hit the Colonials .432 to .121 and trailed only once per set, never past the set’s ninth point.

Butz again paced GW with 14.5 points, though none of her teammates had more than four.

GW’s season continues Friday when they host Temple at the Smith Center. The game is scheduled to start at 7 p.m.