Swine flu vaccines will be released this week

H1N1 vaccinations for D.C. residents between the ages of 10 and 24 will be released this week, a D.C. Department of Health spokeswoman said.

While University administrators say they know GW will receive the vaccinations, they have yet to receive confirmation on the amount or timeline of the shipment, said Sarah Baldassaro, assistant vice president for communications.

“We are still waiting for word on when and how many H1N1 vaccines we will receive for the GW community,” Baldassaro said in an e-mail.

Baldassaro said the D.C. Department of Health will receive shipments of the vaccine and distribute them accordingly.

Dena Iverson, spokeswoman for the city health department, said “George Washington will be receiving the vaccine, however it is coming in multiple shipments and has not been distributed yet.”

Because the University still has unanswered questions as to how many vaccines they will receive, plans for distribution have not yet been confirmed, Baldassaro said.

“We are awaiting information from the D.C. Department of Health on when we will receive H1N1 vaccines for the GW community, and what quantity we will receive and will then determine the appropriate plans for their administration,” Baldassaro said.

In addition to the uncertainty over H1N1 vaccinations, Baldassaro said the last two free seasonal flu shot clinics were cancelled after the University ran out of vaccines.

A nationwide shortage of vaccinations has been a burden across the country, and Baldassaro said the University is currently awaiting a shipment of these seasonal flu vaccines.

“The University like many institutions and health care providers is being affected by a delay in seasonal influenza vaccine deliveries occurring across the country,” Baldassaro said. “The University is awaiting a delivery of additional vaccine[s] placed this summer in anticipation of greater than usual demand for seasonal flu shots.”

This year, more than 4,000 GW community members received the seasonal influenza vaccine, compared to 1,800 last year, Baldassaro said.

“The University will schedule additional seasonal flu clinics as soon as the vaccine is received,” Baldassaro said.