School of Business launches local commercial campaign

Web Exclusive

The School of Business has purchased four months of commercial airtime, school officials said last week.

Commercials promoting programs and faculty in the School of Business started airing Monday, said Molly Brauer, communications director for the business school.

The commercials feature unscripted students and faculty explaining why they like the business school, Brauer said, adding that officials in the school hope this will give it a “local brand.”

The commercials will be 30 seconds long and will air 16 times a day for two weeks during the month from now until January 2010 during Good Morning America, Good Morning Washington and the 6 p.m. news show on ABC channel 7.

ABC 7 broadcasts to more than 2.5 million viewers in the Washington, D.C. market, according to the station’s Web site.

Brauer declined to comment on the cost for the commercials – which were made in conjunction with ABC and GW – and the airtime, saying only that ABC gave the school a deal through negotiations.

“It is an opportune time to buy advertisements,” Brauer said. “We negotiated with ABC because they were helping us make the commercials too.”

Commercials are a first for the business school and feature information on the undergraduate and graduate programs.

“We want to bring attention to the business school,” school Dean Susan Phillips said. “The commercials will have a student and a faculty member to heighten awareness about the school and programs.”

The four commercials will be put up on the School of Business’ Web site, Brauer said.