Freshmen plead guilty to drug charges

Two freshmen have pleaded guilty to separate marijuana-related charges in D.C. Superior Court.

Simon Abrahms, 18, pleaded guilty to possession of marijuana with intent to distribute and possession of drug paraphernalia – both misdemeanors – on Wednesday. Abrahms will serve six months probation, and judge Bruce Beaudin said Abrahms could have faced a maximum of 180 days in jail and up to $1,800 in fines.

Abrahms was arrested Sept. 8 after University Police Department officers responded to a report of a suspicious odor in his Thurston Hall room. An administrative search of the room revealed marijuana, scales, plastic bags and large amounts of money and drug paraphernalia, according to a Metropolitan Police Department report of the incident.

Abrahms originally pleaded not guilty to the charges, but pleaded guilty Wednesday under a plea agreement.

Barry Coburn, Abrahms’ attorney, told the judge before the sentencing that Abrahms had been expelled from the University.

“The situation regarding the severing of the relationship with GW has been heartbreaking to him,” Coburn said. “It was the only school to which he applied.”

Coburn said they unsuccessfully contested Abrahms’ expulsion.

“George Washington was the only school I wanted to go to and now I’m not going to graduate college until I’m 24,” Abrahms said in court. He did not return a request for comment Wednesday afternoon.

In a separate matter, freshman Brennan Hutson, 19, pleaded guilty last Thursday to marijuana possession charges under a plea agreement. He said he is on probation and will appear back in court in April.

“It sucks, but there’s nothing I can really do at this point,” Hutson said Tuesday.

Hutson was charged with possession of a controlled substance – also a misdemeanor – after UPD officers discovered him and two other males smoking marijuana in Kogan Plaza.

Police searched him and discovered a “medium size baggie containing 5 small zip lock bags and loose green leafy substance,” according to charging documents.