Men’s soccer wins in OT, loses over weekend

As a steady rain wet D.C. for most of the weekend, the GW men’s soccer team took to the road for a pair of Atlantic 10 games, finding plenty of precipitation in Philadelphia and the Bronx as well. Friday’s rain at La Salle eventually gave way to light snow; Sunday’s rain at Fordham was accompanied by wind.

The results? Similarly mixed. The Colonials used an overtime penalty kick from sophomore Yoni Berhanu to edge the Explorers 2-1 Friday before being shut out 2-0 by the Rams Sunday afternoon.

Playing with a man advantage after La Salle’s goalkeeper drew a first-half red card, freshman Seth Rudolph opened the game’s scoring with the second goal of his collegiate career off a cross from senior Kyle Albrecht in the 37th minute. GW (7-6-0, 1-3-0 A-10) held the lead until the Explorers’ Mike Pio knocked in a corner kick from teammate Ryan Richter to even the score at one apiece in the 66th minute.

The tie held for the remainder of regulation, pushing the Colonials into their second overtime period of the season. It wouldn’t last long, as Berhanu drove in a penalty kick in the period’s second minute to give GW their first conference win of the season.

Senior and leading scorer Andy Stadler did not play Sunday at Fordham after leaving Friday’s game early due to an apparent injury, leaving the Colonials’ offense seemingly struggling to generate opportunities. The team managed three shots in the game’s first half and none in the second, with two of their attempts coming on goal.

The Rams scored twice in the game’s first 25 minutes and managed six more shots after halftime but were unable to add another tally.

The Colonials return home for the remainder of their regular season schedule, a five-game homestand beginning Friday against Xavier at Mount Vernon Field. The game is scheduled for a 12:30 p.m. start.