Blind Date: Common interests, but differing views

Juniors Ricky Muñiz and Josh Schutze shared an evening filled with easy conversation at Stars Bistro in Dupont Circle, but held differing views on the restaurant and whether they are friends or something more.

Dater Bios

Name: Ricky Muñiz
Year: Junior
Age: 21
Hometown: Bayamón, Puerto Rico
Major: International affairs and geography

Name: Josh Schutze
Year: Junior
Age: 22
Hometown: Wilton, Conn.
Major: Chinese

What is your ideal first date?

RICKY: Me and the other person having a good conversation that flows. Not one that is awkward and not fishing around for questions. At the end of the date I would feel like I want to do it again. I want to connect with the person.

JOSH: Good conversation while doing something interesting. Going to a restaurant is a little cliché. I’d like to go to a museum or an art exhibit or walking in D.C. Just being outside would be nice. Really anything as long as it’s not bizarre or distasteful. As long as you are enjoying each other and getting to know each other, what you do is sort of irrelevant.

What do you look for in a person?

RICKY: Someone who is mature and intelligent. Someone who looks beyond the superficial stuff and they should also know what they want in life. They should be goal-oriented.

JOSH: A nice person that is happy. He should also be affectionate. That is the hallmark of a healthy relationship. Relating emotionally and being sexually attracted are key elements, but a good person who cares deeply and someone who is emotionally attached beyond friendship.

What are your interests?

RICKY: I like going to the movies and the theatre. I’m interested in the arts. I like walking around the city, hanging out with friends, dancing and reading.

JOSH: I am somewhat interested in domestic politics and foreign affairs. I am a bit of a language geek. I speak English, Chinese, Spanish and German. I like to travel, go to foreign restaurants, and watch foreign films and funny movies. I like living.

Ricky says:

I had never been on a blind date before last night. A friend asked me if I wanted to go on one, and I couldn’t find a reason not to go, so I decided to give it a try.

It went really well. The restaurant was really nice and had great food. He was a cool and very smart guy. We had a good conversation, and it turned out to be a lot less awkward than what I thought a blind date would be. We had a couple of common interests; we both are very interested in international affairs, different cultures and government and both our interactions with different cultures have led us to where we are today. It was a great way to take a break from the stress of school and work and just sit down with another person and have a good conversation.

I would have to rate the date as an A- just because even though it was a nice evening, the romantic chemistry was missing. I am sure that we will be friends and hang out from now on.

Josh says:

I had never been on a blind date before. I chose to go on this date because I’ve been having bad luck meeting guys and I thought maybe this would be a good opportunity to meet someone new.

The date was really good. Ricky is very good-looking, intelligent, charming, very nice, and a good conversationalist. He is the perfect date. The restaurant wasn’t very good, but the date and Ricky were great! I would give the date an A.

I would like to see something more than friendship come out of this.