Planned park by Guthridge will open in December

New green space on campus originally set to open this fall will be completed by the beginning of December, University officials said.

The parking lot located behind Guthridge Hall is going to be converted to a small park as part of the South Hall residence hall project, and will be dubbed the Square 80 Plaza.

“Adding green space to this area was contemplated as part of the open space plan included in the 2007 Foggy Bottom Campus Plan,” said John Ralls, senior adviser for communications and outreach in the Office of the Executive Vice President and Treasurer. “The project will green the area – both by providing open green space and sustainable features.”

Work on the project began two weeks ago, and concrete is now being lifted from the lot. The size of the new park will be 32,010 square feet – approximately three-quarters of an acre.

The cost of the project has been incorporated into the total of the $70 million budget for the construction of GW’s newest residence hall, South Hall, on Square 80.

The currently existing parking lot holds about 30 vehicles, but will be transformed into a green space with trees and other plants. Individuals who once used this parking lot have relocated to other University parking areas.

“The park will feature more than 20 trees, an activity lawn, trellised seating and several small landscaped areas,” said Dylan Pyne, co-director of Campaign GW in an e-mail.

The space will enhance the pedestrian pathway between F and G streets and the northern courtyard entrance to South Hall for students, but the park will also be open for community use by members of the Foggy Bottom and West End communities.

Weekly updates on the construction of the Square 80 Plaza will be coming soon on neighborhood.gwu.edu.