Staff Editorial: In need of more Knapp time

On Saturday, University President Steven Knapp held a “State of the University” speech for visiting alumni. This event was a great opportunity for graduates who wish to have a sense of where their contributions will help lead the University. In contrast, Knapp has yet to provide the same understanding to current students. This lack of expressed vision is both symptomatic and demonstrative of a presidency that faces a perceived disconnect between the highest level of the administration and the student body.

Student perception of President Knapp, specifically on the undergraduate level, is characterized by a general lack of connection with our 16th president. He remains a fairly invisible presence on campus; accounts of personal and informal engagement with students are few and far between. While student organizations can file a request with the Office of the President for an appearance, it should not necessarily be the responsibility of student organizations to make sure that his presence and support is felt. He has been noticeably absent from student-run events on campus, including this year’s Fall Fest – an event which routinely brings together a large number of students. This can lead students to wonder: Does President Knapp understand the student perspective?

For those events President Knapp does attend, he is often perceived as being too staged. A large part of this perception calls into question the role of Knapp’s chief of staff, Barbara Porter. While it is certainly understandable that a university president would have aides, the omnipresence of Porter has led to the perception of a layer between students and their school president. It is easy to get the feeling that many students have trouble connecting with Knapp.

Even more important than the fact that students aren’t familiar with Knapp as a person is that they do not understand Knapp’s vision for the University. Knapp says his vision is centered on sustainability, improved research and dedication to public service, among other objectives. These enumerated points are good, but more student questions loom. How is Knapp is working to make sure a GW degree will be worth more in five years than it is now? How do issues like community service fit into a GW student’s curriculum? Knapp said at Saturday’s alumni event that GW is on track to be the top University in D.C. in 10 years. Expressing that directly to students would serve him well.

We understand that Knapp lives on campus and has attended some student events this year, like move-in day and the Freshman Day of Service. The Hatchet, though, has spoken with more than 100 students about Knapp’s visibility, and the sentiment is clear: students desire a stronger connection with their president.

The first step in doing so is to raise his profile with students. While we by no means want Stephen Joel Trachtenberg 2.0, it is important for any university president to be seen around campus engaging students. The solution could be as simple as spending a spontaneous chunk of time in Kogan plaza, stopping to talk to students in J Street, or having lunch at Ivory Tower. Giving students the opportunity to relate with the University president in line at Starbucks would go along way toward improving the administration’s image. An occasional impromptu visit to student organization meetings would be a big improvement in his efforts to connect with students, too.

President Knapp must also do more to show he is tackling issues in students’ lives. A good example is academic advising. It is common knowledge that advising is a hot-button issue for students, but little progress has been made over the past few years. Students need to see that the Office of the President has recognized a top student concern and is actively working to provide a solution that applies to students who are currently enrolled.

Finally, President Knapp must dissolve the mystery surrounding his vision for GW. It is time that he effectively communicate to students where he wants to see GW at the end of his term. Hosting a town hall meeting like Saturday’s – but geared toward students, rather than alumni – would be a vital step for the health of this administration.

We make these suggestions as part of an earnest desire to see the student body and the administration develop a stronger relationship. Raising the priority of current student concerns on his to-do list would go a long way to do just that.

Readers can visit the Forum to comment on this editorial.