Sports in Brief

Men’s soccer wins again

The GW men’s soccer team continued its winning ways on the road this weekend, defeating Rider 3-0 on their own turf Sunday to register their third consecutive victory and second straight shutout.

Senior Nikolay Aleksandrov, a defender, opened the scoring in the 10th minute with his second career goal from 35 yards out. Redshirt senior Mike Rollings added a second goal 10 minutes later off an assist from junior Marcus Ranney, while sophomore Yoni Berhanu added GW’s (7-3-0), third goal on a 42nd-minute penalty kick.

After Sunday’s scoreless 90 minutes, redshirt sophomore Erik Haug has now allowed just three scores in nearly 346 minutes in net this season, recording 11 saves in the process. As a team, the Colonials have not surrendered a goal in 187 minutes of play, dating back to their 4-2 win over Mount St. Mary’s Sep. 26.

GW will begin Atlantic 10 play at Charlotte Friday, the first of four straight conference road games before returning home for the season’s final five contests beginning Oct. 23.

Hogan takes fifth

Senior Megan Hogan took fifth place in the 40-school, 362-runner field at Friday’s Paul Short Invite in Lehigh, Pa., putting her first among Colonials teammates for the second-straight race.

Hogan finished seven seconds behind the race’s winner with a time of 20:05 in the six-kilometer race. Junior Jessica Stern finished 68th overall and second among the GW women’s cross country team.

Senior Dan Cartica paced GW’s men’s team with a time of 25:38, good for 21st overall in his race. Classmate Rob Lockart was next among the Colonials, completing the run in 26:13, which placed him 60th.

Water polo splits four

The men’s water polo team went 2-2 in a four-game, two-day road trip to California over the weekend, moving to 7-14 overall on their season-opening, month-long road trip.

The Colonials edged Cal Lutheran 10-9 Friday to begin the weekend before knocking off La Verne 11-6 later in the day. Sophomore Cray Rogers scored eight times over the day’s two games, while senior John-Claude Wright had a hat trick in the first game.

GW began Saturday by losing 10-1 to No. 20 California Baptist then fell 12-9 to Chapman to round out their West Coast swing. Wright scored four times in the second game, giving him a team-best 48 goals on the season. Senior Rick Rogers also added a hat trick of his own.

The Colonials will return home Thursday to play the first game in the newly renovated Smith Center pool when they host Bucknell at 7:30 p.m.

Number Crunch: 2

The number of consecutive shutouts by the GW men’s soccer team, both with redshirt sophomore Erik Haug in goal. Haug has allowed just three goals in nearly 346 minutes of play this season.