Moore promotes documentary

Oscar-winning documentary filmmaker Michael Moore spoke to a full house of students Tuesday in the Marvin Center about the problems facing the nation’s economy and health care system.

The event, co-sponsored by the College Democrats and Program Board, was broadcast to 170 college campuses around the country by ThinkTalk, a network that connects college students with high-profile professionals.

Moore spent the night discussing his new film, “Capitalism: A Love Story,” which will be released on Oct. 2. His newest documentary focuses on the corporate dominance and corruption that he says has caused the economic crisis in the United States.

Moore said his inspiration for the film stemmed from his desire to uncover and expose the underlying problems facing America.

“When Fox News says crazy things like, ‘Obamacare is going to kill your grandmother,’ that’s how we’re different. We’re going to tell the truth. When I state a fact, it’s a fact. Yes, the movie appeals to emotions, but all art, whether it’s a movie or music, is about appealing to emotion,” Moore said.

Moore voiced his beliefs on the current state of the U.S. economic system, which he called “unfair, unjust and not democratic.”

He defined capitalism in the U.S. today as “a system of legalized greed that protects the wealthy.” He chided Wall Street, comparing it to the “crazy uncle” who constantly mismanages his money and keeps asking for more. Eventually, he said, that uncle needs to be cut off, but he thinks that the message the government has sent to Wall Street through bailouts is completely the opposite.

“I’m for helping when it helps everyone, but not for when the rich just get richer,” Moore said.

Moore advocated for a single-payer, government-run health care system, which he said would be cheaper and more beneficial to the country in the long-run. He expressed disgust over the great number of Americans losing their homes because they can’t afford their mortgages after having to pay their medical bills.

Freshman Dan Horning challenged Moore to offer solutions to the problems he discussed. Horning said he still believes in the American dream, meaning that he can work hard and be successful without relying on government welfare for help. Moore acknowledged the differences between their two beliefs, but ultimately said both sides need to work together.

“We’re both Americans. We’re in the same boat. We sink or swim together. We have a lot in common. I want to reach out to you. I’m like Mother Theresa. I want to reach out and hold your hand,” Moore said before the two shared a hug, eliciting bouts of laughter and applause from the audience.

Moore encouraged students to get involved in politics to bring the voice of the future to the decision-making process.

“Get organized. Get involved. Turn off Dancing With the Stars. TiVo it if necessary. Get your voices together and make them loud,” he said. “We need you to be involved in many of these issues. Stay active. It’s your future,” he added

Senior Peter Weiss, president of the CDs, said the event was a success.

“It was fantastic. It was so much fun. I think everyone here had a great time and learned a lot and was feeling very empowered. I think everyone is energized now,” he said.

Freshman Samantha Rogers said she enjoyed the event, despite disagreeing with Moore.

“I didn’t agree with him. I come from a working-class family and having been on that side, there is always something you can do to get help,” she said. “Charities [and private insurers] paid for a half-million-dollar surgery to get a tumor out of my spine. We could never have afforded that, but we don’t need the government getting involved in that. More government involvement is just not the answer.”

Freshman Peter Benoliel praised the format of the event, which was held like a town-hall meeting, and said he felt like he had learned something from attending.

“I’m not really politically savvy. I’m an engineering major and when there’s not a right answer, it gets a lot more complicated,” he said. “But it is something that is interesting to talk about. The free exchange of ideas is a very good thing as always.”

Oct. 2, 2009

Based on information from Samantha Rogers, The Hatchet erroneously reported that charities paid for her surgery. In fact, charities and private insurers paid for the operation.