Staff Editorial: Maroon 5 makes us wonder

Program Board announced last Sunday that GW will host Maroon 5 at the Smith Center on Nov. 13. We applaud the PB’s successful efforts to secure such a well-known group for this exciting event. But contrasted with the maligned headliners of the last two years, we feel it is important to question the current model of PB’s annual autumn event, Fall Fest.

Events like University-sponsored concerts prove extremely valuable to fostering the sense of unity GW has been said to lack. These fall months mark football season for many other schools, whereas GW’s basketball season has yet to start. Therefore, GW students have very few opportunities to come together and enjoy a day of fun and relaxation with each other.

Like last year’s spring concert featuring Jason Mraz and Ben Folds, this year’s Maroon 5 concert will provide the perfect opportunity for students to come together over their interest in an extremely popular band. But these accomplishments raise doubts.

For the past two years, Fall Fest has been marred by issues with the headlining performer. Moving forward, Program Board should reevaluate the necessity of a major headliner for Fall Fest. The event could instead be focused on cheaper student performances and providing a day of free food and activities. The money saved could then be put toward subsidizing a bigger band later in the semester.

Another possibility is pushing back Fall Fest to later in the year and charging for the headliner performance.This would provide PB the time to sell tickets and give the financial stability to ensure a major act.

Maroon 5 is a praiseworthy choice, and on-campus concerts are extremely valuable in fostering a sense of unity among GW students. Nonetheless, now is a good time for Program Board to reconsider the current Fall Fest model. Regardless of the details, it is important to consider alternative options for scheduling fall events.

Readers can visit the Forum to comment on this editorial.