Letters to the Editor

Risking our health

Prior to the start of a recent class, a bunch of us were chatting about how many people we knew who had become ill recently. Once the professor arrived, she asked, “Is it the swine flu?” None of us could answer her question.

Why is the University not testing for H1N1 flu? According to the campus advisories Web site, it is because the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has not suggested doing so. Well I, as a student, suggest they do so! I have been sick with a high fever for the last three days and all the Student Health Service did was take down my date of birth, residence and symptoms. I am writing this letter because I believe the University is deliberately withholding statistics about how “the flu” has spread and how many people are infected. Every person in my class, which is a small class, either had become ill recently or knew someone who had. I believe that the University is afraid to shut down and force all courses to go online, while risking our health. I believe the swine flu has hit GW and the University needs to take into account our well-being.
Matt Rankow is a senior majoring in political science.

Connecting a global community

The staff of WRGW would like to clarify in response to the article, “Is anyone listening?” (Sept. 21, p. 1), that our primary goal at the station is to further grow our listenership base that is, in fact, already global. The staff and management take pride in participating in the operation of WRGW, and the station’s role in connecting GW’s worldwide community.

Although the struggles to gain a larger audience are concerns for every media outlet, over the past few years, WRGW has improved and increased our programming, which is uniquely and undoubtedly relevant to the GW community. We acknowledge that it is our job to make our fellow students more aware of what we have to offer.

With over 200 members, we are one of the largest student organizations on campus. Our live programming includes sports, news, talk, and music shows. Throughout the month of October, WRGW holds its annual Octoberfest, which is a month-long series of in-studio performances and interviews with local and touring musicians, as well as sports and political figures. Our sports department covers all GW men’s and women’s basketball games live on air, and is the only college radio station to broadcast women’s games live.

In addition to our extensive on-air programming, we run regular events on campus to support student life. WRGW has provided a useful training ground for students who have gone on to become professional broadcasters and communicators, and has been serving the GW community for the past 80 years. To listen, get involved, or learn more about WRGW, please visit www.gwradio.com.
Nomi Kaplan, a senior, is the general manager of WRGW.