Sports in Brief

Pair of volleyball players earns awards

Sophomore Alyssa Valentine and freshman Candace Silva-Martin each earned individual honors from the Atlantic 10 for their play last week, the league announced Monday.

Valentine, a setter and last year’s A-10 Rookie of the Year, was named the conference’s Co-Offensive Player of the Week after collecting 129 assists, 25 digs and seven kills during the Colonials’ three wins at the Towson Invitational over the weekend. She was also named the tournament’s most valuable player.

Silva-Martin, the team’s libero, was named A-10 Defensive Player of the Week after collecting 65 digs at the Towson Invitational, including a game-high 35 in Sunday’s win over the hosts. She currently leads the conference in digs with 250.

The volleyball team will continue its season Friday at La Salle in its first Atlantic 10 competition of the year.

Water Polo’s Illes named top rookie again

Goalkeeper Cameron Illes was named the CWPA Southern Division Rookie of the Week for the second straight week Monday after tying a GW record over the weekend.

Illes collected 19 saves in the Colonials’ 6-5 loss to MIT Sunday at the ECAC Championship, tying GW’s all-time single-game mark. He also had 14 saves in GW’s 12-5 win over Harvard in the tournament’s opening round.

The men’s water polo team will open CWPA play this weekend with a trip to Bucknell Saturday before playing Princeton and Iona in Princeton, N.J. Sunday.

Upcoming Games

Men’s soccer vs. Mount St. Mary’s, Mount Vernon Field, Saturday, Sept. 26, 3 p.m.

Women’s soccer vs. Dayton, Mount Vernon Field, Sunday, Sept. 27, 1 p.m.

Women’s rowing, Head of the Potomac, Sunday, Sept. 27, 11:30 a.m.

Number Crunch: 13

The number of minutes sophomore goalkeeper Erik Haug had played for GW before logging nearly 68 minutes against No. 11/13 Virginia in Tuesday’s 2-1 overtime loss.