City makes cuts to Georgetown Circulator bus route

The D.C. Circulator, a local bus that costs just a dollar per ride, is cutting its Georgetown services short beginning in October.

The District Department of Transportation announced Monday that, beginning Oct. 4, the Circulator will no longer serve Wisconsin Avenue north of M Street in Georgetown.

“We regret having to make any cuts in service,” DDOT Director Gabe Klein said in a news release. “It was not a decision we took lightly and reductions were targeted to affect the fewest riders and produce the greatest savings.”

The October restructuring will also include a route change. The Circulator bus on the Georgetown-Union Station route will only use M Street as an eastbound route, and will make its way west using K Street instead.

Cutting Circulator service to an area already inaccessible by Metrorail will further reduce the number of bus options around Georgetown.

The Georgetown Metropolitan, a neighborhood blog, is urging its readers to contact D.C. Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) in a last-minute attempt to save the route.

“Let [Mayor Fenty] know that cutting Circulator service to Georgetown in half is an unacceptable reduction in bus service to a corridor that has already lost a significant amount of service in the last two years,” the appeal reads.

Monday’s news release also states that the Circulator’s Smithsonian-National Mall loop will be unavailable Oct. 4 to April 3.

The Circulator is expanding its services in one location. This fall, a stop will be added to the Woodley Park-McPherson Square Metro route on Columbia Avenue.

Travelers can visit ddot.dc.gov for more information.