Student Association Senate confirms three freshman senators

This post was written by Hatchet Staff Writer Madeleine Morgenstern.

The Student Association Senate confirmed its three non-voting freshman senators Tuesday evening, leaving them just one senator short of having a full senate this year.

Freshmen Kevin Curtin, Amanda Galonek and Meredith Waters were confirmed from a pool of nine candidates after a 20-minute executive session debate that was closed to non-senate members. Six additional vacated senate seats were also filled during the meeting.

Each candidate delivered a two-minute statement, with follow-up questions from the senate.

Freshmen senators do not have voting privileges, but are given committee assignments and represent the freshman class.

Curtin said he was unfazed by the limited power of his position.

“It’s not necessary to have a vote to actually be a voice,” he said during the meeting.

In her statement to the senate, Meredith Waters called herself “a minority in every sense of the word at GW.”

“I’m a public health major, I’m black, I live on the Vern, and I’m in the Women’s Leadership Program,” Waters said. “I’m going to represent everybody who doesn’t get any other representation here.”

She added that she would be advocating for the whole freshman class, but plans to concentrate on making sure that the Mount Vernon campus is fully connected to Foggy Bottom.

Amanda Galonek said she hopes to use Facebook groups and an Instant Messenger account to spread important information to the freshman class.

“We’re very approachable,” she said. “I want to let [students] know that they have an opinion and a voice and they will be heard.”

Also on Tuesday night, Jay Ramsey and Abdullah Masud were confirmed as Law School graduate senators, Alexander Kapinos was confirmed as a Colombian College of Arts and Sciences graduate senator, David Ward was confirmed as an School of Medicine and Health Sciences undergraduate senator, and Michael Case was confirmed as one of two first-year graduate senators.

Francisco Semiao will be confirmed to the second first year graduate position next week, Rules Chair Jamie Baker (CPS-G) said.

The last open position is for a Graduate School of Education and Human Development graduate senator.