Uloop, an online market just for college students

Sick of room swap and dealing with the University for housing? Need a cheap couch but don’t know where to get one? Want to buy a textbook but don’t want to pay GW bookstore prices? Now you can find all of these thing at the same place.

Uloop.com is a newly launched Web site that is a network of online college classifieds and marketplaces, where “hundreds of thousands of college students nationwide … buy, sell, promote and trade with classmates,” according to the Web site.

The Craigslist-style site, which launched in January 2007 at the University of California at Santa Barbara, functions as an online resource for college students looking for anything from used textbooks and jobs to a free ride home for breaks. There are unique Uloop pages offered at hundreds of universities across the country and GW is now one of them. Registered users with a valid college e-mail address can connect and interact with their fellow classmates, as well as research and explore local neighborhood and on-campus job opportunities and internships. Users are even able to search for roommates online and find apartment listings near campus.

The GW-based Uloop site is set up very much like its Craigslist counterpart – bare-boned. But Uloop provides a smaller community by keeping it to the college-only crowd.