What to see…

If your only source of live music was watching Taylor Swift perform on last week’s MTV Video Music Awards, then take a night off for some real entertainment. These upcoming shows are a must-see for any cultural aficionado in the District.

September 25: Snow Patrol is playing at DAR Constitution Hall, located only a couple blocks from Thurston. General admission tickets are still available for $33.50.

September 29: If you’re in the mood for indie or metal rock, South African group Blk Jks will mix it all when they headline the Black Cat. Tickets are a cheap $10 for the Tuesday night show.

October 2: Infamous ’90s pop-rock band Blink 182 will be visiting Virginia Beach on its comeback tour. If you’re in the mood for a road trip, the band is playing with Fall Out Boy and All-American Rejects at the Verizon Wireless Virginia Beach Amphitheater. Tickets start at $19.

October 12: Need a break from homework frustration? Steve Martin is just the thing. Enjoy his comedy at Warner Theatre starting at $67.50.

October 16: Old-school rock band AC/DC will be taking over the Verizon Center. The show sold out, but check out Web sites for independent sellers hawking tickets.

October 27: Hip-hop legend Jay-Z will perform at the 1st Mariner Arena in Baltimore, Md. Tickets start at $27.50.

October 23: Take part in the MTV Ulalume Festival at the Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, Md. Featured artists include Paramore and AFI. Tickets begin at $25.

November 2: For students who didn’t have enough of him at the We Are One concert, or for those who missed him, Bruce Springsteen will be performing with the E Street Band at the Verizon Center. Tickets go on sale Friday.

November 6: Actor and comedian Dane Cook will be visiting Virginia for a night of laughter. Join him at the Patriot Center in Fairfax, VA. Tickets start at $33.

November 10: Right across the Potomac River in Fairfax, Va., Rob Thomas will play at the Patriot Center. Tickets start at $41.