Sports in Brief

Men’s rowing names new head coach

Former Yale heavyweight freshman team coach Mark Davis has been tabbed as GW’s new men’s rowing coach, Senior Associate Director of Athletics Mary Jo Warner announced this week.

The position was left vacant after former head coach Greg Myhr left to take the same position at the University of Pennsylvania. Myhr had headed GW’s program for the past four years.

Davis led Yale’s freshman eight to a fourth-place finish at the IRA Nationals in 2008. Before spending the last three years at Yale, he spent three years as the head men’s rowing coach at the University of California at San Diego.

Water polo to play in ECAC championship

The GW men’s water polo team will take part in the Eastern College Athletic Conference championship tournament this weekend in Princeton, N.J., where they will be seeded eighth in the 10-team field.

The Colonials will face ninth-seeded Harvard in Friday’s opening round of action, then play twice more, with their ensuing opponents and game times depending on their performance.

At last season’s ECAC event, GW won their opening contest against Iona before narrowly falling to Johns Hopkins and Bucknell in consecutive one-goal games.

Upcoming Games

Women’s soccer
vs. UMBC, Baltimore, Md., Friday, 7 p.m.

Women’s volleyball
vs. Ball State, Towson, Md., Friday, 4:30 p.m.
vs. Penn, Towson, Md., Saturday, 12:30 p.m.
vs. Towson, Towson, Md., Saturday, 3:30 p.m.

Men’s soccer
Georgetown Classic, Washington D.C., Saturday and Sunday, all day

Women’s tennis
Maryland Invitational, College Park, Md., Saturday and Sunday, all day

Number Crunch: 1

The number of career goals by men’s soccer freshman Seth Rudolph, who scored for the first time as a Colonial in Wednesday’s 4-0 win over Longwood. His goal was also the first of the game.