Judge issues bench warrant for Ivory Tower intruder

A woman arrested for allegedly breaking into an Ivory Tower room failed to appear in court Tuesday and a bench warrant was issued for her arrest, according to court documents.

The woman, Shunita Ellerbe, a 29-year-old Southwest D.C. resident, had already been barred from campus and was arrested in August when she allegedly entered a student’s residence hall room.

Sophomore Lindsey Henry was napping in her friend’s room and woke up after hearing a loud noise and saw Ellerbe at a desk, according to charging documents. Ellerbe left the room after another student woke up and asked her what she was doing there.

University Police Department officers later found her getting on an elevator in the building and the witnesses identified her, according to documents. When police initially approached her, she stated that she was “looking for her friend Stacy Robinson,” and refused to explain how she entered the secured building.

Ellerbe was charged with unlawful entry, but failed to appear at a status hearing, according to court documents.

Nearly 20 burglaries were reported in residence halls in August, and the University has placed stickers reminding students to lock their doors in residence halls where the doors do not automatically lock. GW has also started a program to sell and lease safes.