Female student robbed at gunpoint near campus

A GW student was robbed at gunpoint by two men last weekend near her off-campus residence on 25th Street, according to a Metropolitan Police Department report.

The female grad student was walking home alone from a bar at 1:45 a.m. Sunday through Snows Court, an alleyway off of 25th Street between K and I streets, when two men approached her from behind, according to the report.

“I was stopped by two men with a gun and told to drop everything,” the victim said in an interview.

One of the men carried a dark handgun in his waistband, according to the report. The student, whose name is being withheld, dropped her bag, which held a Blackberry Curve cell phone and $13, on the ground and the men took it and fled. The victim said she did not “get a good look at either,” according to the report, but told police that one of the men was slender and wearing an orange shirt.

“I was walking down a dark alley,” the victim said. “I shouldn’t have.”

The victim said her cell phone was later recovered after someone found it and called one of her friends.

MPD Lt. Alesia Wheeler-Moore said in an e-mail that police presence in the area will increase. The incident prompted a D.C. Police Alert e-mail, urging recipients to call 911 if they saw the suspects.

Wheeler-Moore said at Wednesday’s Advisory Neighborhood Commission meeting that the victim was talking on her cell phone at the time of the attack, and Wheeler-Moore advised residents not to do so when walking alone late at night.

University Police Chief Dolores Stafford said that the robbery was not reported to UPD, but to be safe, students should avoid walking alone at night and utilize the University’s 4-RIDE service or a taxi after dark.