Schools add study abroad locations

Business and engineering students will have new study abroad options starting this spring, officials said last week.

Dean Susan Phillips said the School of Business has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Bocconi University in Milan, Italy, for a summer program. The School of Engineering and Applied Science also signed a MOU with Hong Kong University of Science and Technology to begin an exchange program this spring.

The exchange program in Bocconi and Hong Kong are only open to students in the respective schools.

“Bocconi is the most prestigious business school in Italy and we are very excited to have an exchange with them,” said Lucienne Jugant, the associate director for the Office of Study Abroad.

For engineering students – who often need to take very specific classes – the seven engineering programs in Hong Kong will allow them to study abroad and graduate on time, Jugant said.

Credits and grades will transfer for both programs, which makes the programs more attractive, said David Dolling, dean of the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences.

Students will have to pay GW tuition while attending the programs, plus an additional fee that is semester-based. For students studying at Bocconi, the fee is $5,500, which does include housing. The fee for the Hong Kong program is $400 but room and board is not included.

“Over 40 percent of our students have had international experiences and we encourage our students to do a program in the summer or take a semester and study abroad,” Phillips said. “We think it is a great experience.”