Greek leaders: Never a better time to go Greek

Combining all that this University and Washington D.C. have to offer, GW is home to a unique Greek-letter community. Members spent thousands of hours – a combined total of more than 25,000, in fact – volunteering in the community last year and currently hold a number of important jobs and internships all around the city. From Georgetown to Capitol Hill, fraternities and sororities dance the night away at D.C.’s hotels and restaurants at semi-formals and formals. It’s never been a better time to go Greek at GW.

After celebrating the 150th anniversary of GW Greek-letter life last September, our campus has renewed its commitment to provide a dynamic Greek-letter college experience. With new resources and innovative programming, it is clear that the best will only get better in the coming years.

The Panhellenic Association, the governing council for the ten National Panhellenic sororities on campus, is the largest women’s organization at GW; and the Interfraternity Council (IFC), the governing body of 16 fraternities, is the largest men’s organization. If you join a chapter, you’ll become part of a growing community that comprises 22 percent of the student body.

Fraternity men and sorority women are some of the most active leaders on campus. Whether it’s the College Democrats, College Republicans, the Student Association, various sports teams or any of the hundreds of clubs on campus, fraternity and sorority members are involved. Every year, GW chapters win awards from both their national organizations and the Student Activities Center, highlighting their excellence in organization and service.

But at GW, service does not always mean painting schools or holding bake sales. Every fall, all chapters participate in Greek Week, competing against one another to become the Greek Week champions. You’ll be able to bid on a fellow Greek-letter member at the date auction, watch fraternity men dress up in costumes and cheer on your sisters in field games, all while raising money for charity.

If you choose to go Greek, the most rewarding part will be the numerous friends you’ll make and the lifelong bonds you’ll form. Sororities and fraternities are a support system and a home away from home on campus. Belonging to a chapter can mean you never have to worry about whether or not your college experience is going to be a memorable one.

Sorority recruitment starts this Thursday and lasts until Monday, Sept. 14. Potential members will be able to meet the sisters of all ten sororities throughout the weekend and see which chapter fits them best. Don’t worry if you don’t know what you are doing! Everyone will be assigned a recruitment counselor to guide you along the way. The whole process culminates with Bid Day on Tuesday, when new members celebrate with their sisters.

IFC recruitment begins this Monday, Sept. 14 and continues until Oct. 3. Each of the 16 fraternities will have three events completely open to any interested undergraduate male. On Oct. 1 and 2, every fraternity will have two invitation-only events. To be invited to these events, you must have attended at least one of the open events. Every fraternity has different standards of membership, so it is important to ask as many questions as you can during recruitment. Remember, fraternity recruitment is free of charge, comes with great meals and is an easy way to meet a lot of new people. For more information and a complete schedule of events, please visit http://www.gwired.gwu.edu/sac/greek. We look forward to seeing you soon!

The writers, Sarah Sutton, a senior majoring in international business, and Chas Pressner, a junior majoring in accounting, are presidents of the Panhellenic Association and Interfraternity Council, respectively.

Readers can visit the Forum to comment on this op-ed.