Sports in Brief

Golf

GW’s golf team opened its fall season with a tie for seventh place at the 14-team Turning Stone Tiger Intercollegiate in Verona, N.Y. Monday.

The Colonials, who tied with Hartford at a collective 62 strokes over par, were paced by senior Cole Turner, who finished with the tournament in his own tie for seventh place among the 65 participants. Turner shot a 67 in the second of three rounds, tying his previous personal 18-hole best, which was set in the opening round of the Old Dominion University’s Sea Scape Collegiate last October.

Senior Sebastian Polomares shot GW’s second-lowest score of the weekend, earning a 31st-place finish.

GW returns to action this weekend at the Navy Fall Classic in Annapolis, Md.

Volleyball

After beginning the season with a trio of victories, the GW women’s volleyball team was swept in three games at the Minnesota Diet Coke Classic in Minneapolis over the weekend.

The Colonials faced a difficult slate of competition, falling to No. 12 Iowa State and No. 13 Minnesota by matching 3-0 scores Saturday and Sunday, respectively. In their second match Sunday and third in two days, GW also fell to Auburn 3-1.

Senior Leah Hill led the Colonials with 43 points throughout the three games, escalating her performance with totals of nine, 12 and 22 points, respectively.

GW will continue its travels this weekend at the Villanova Invitational in Pennsylvania, where they will face Princeton, UMBC and host Villanova during the two-day event.

Cross Country

GW’s men’s and women’s cross country teams began their fall at the Mount St. Mary’s duals this weekend, finishing third and fourth, respectively, among the six teams in their fields.

Junior Andrew Zahornacky posted GW’s fastest time with a 16:03.97 in the five-kilometer race while classmate Zach Borenstein was next with a time of 16:11.94, which placed them 11th and 15th, respectively, in the meet.

Freshmen Heather Stevens and Julia Weir led GW on the women’s side, finishing 20th and 21st while classmate Alexandra Smargiassi followed closely behind in 23rd place. Redshirt junior Megan Hogan, the Colonials’ top runner, was held out of the competition.

Both teams will head to Annapolis, Md. next weekend to participate in the Navy Invitational.

Number Crunch: 29

The number of shots taken by the GW women’s soccer team in their 0-0 tie against Howard Sunday. The Colonials allowed the Bison to take just four in 120 minutes of play.

The Last Word

“Just say it was a planned play – a well-planned play.”
– Men’s soccer head coach George Lidster on his team’s free kick goal