Performance groups shine at Betts

If you’re not sure whether Monday’s student performance showcase in the Marvin Center was a success, consider this: more than 150 students were turned away from the event because every seat in the 425-person Betts Theatre was filled.

Eager freshmen and returning students filled the auditorium to catch a glimpse of what to expect from the community of performers on campus this year. The showcase featured performances from 17 musical, dance, theatre, and comedy groups.

“This show is the best thing we can do, because it exposes the talented student organizations at the beginning of the year, off the bat,” said Tim Miller, the director of the Student Activities Center, who sponsored the event.

A cappella favorites Emocapella and The Sirens, along with lesser-known musicians Zach Hindin and TNTtrio, demonstrated the music flowing on campus. Capitol Funk and Balance: The GW Ballet Group had people tapping their feet, and receSs had students laughing in their seats.

The two-hour-long showcase was aimed at getting incoming freshmen involved in the large student performance community. Hosts Elizabeth Acevedo and Shakir Cannon-Moye announced information about upcoming auditions prior to each set and performers mingled with audience members at the dessert reception that followed in Columbian Square.

“I was really into theater in high school and I want to get into playwriting and theater here at GW,” said freshman Maddy Wright, who said she attended to get a feel for where to get started.

It also proved to be a chance for students to get to know other kids they may share the stage with during the next four years.

“I sat down with two people I didn’t know and we bonded over our love of theater,” said freshman Mark Buente.

For returning students, it was an affair to get energized for a new year.

“I’m at home,” Acevedo said of being back on the amphitheatre’s stage.

The event was organized for the first time last September, and had an unexpectedly large turnout. To give more people a chance to watch the show, this year’s event included a live video feed, broadcast in Great Hall.

“The high turnout is great; that’s why we came up with it in the first place,” said Miller.

Because of the success of this year’s showcase, Miller announced that next year’s performance would take place in Lisner Auditorium.