Funger gets $2.6 million upgrade

Funger Hall underwent a $2.6 million renovation this summer that upgraded the first two floors of the aging building, a University official said this week.

Funger, which was last renovated more than a decade ago, is an academic building located on 22nd and G streets. Ten classrooms received new carpeting and seating – including the two large lecture halls on the first floor – and technological upgrades were performed, said Juan Ibanez, associate vice president for Facilities.

“The quality of the lobby and classrooms is now first-class and complements both the appearance and character of the upper floors of Funger Hall and that of Duques Hall,” Ibanez said in an e-mail.

The renovated classrooms are now equipped with new LCD monitors and computers, Ibanez said, and the old chalk and white boards in the classrooms were replaced with new ones.

“The renovation in Funger Hall included a full upgrade to the first floor lobby and second floor hallway and classrooms, as well as the installation of a new life-safety fire sprinkler system throughout on these floors,” he said.

Construction on the building was completed just days before students returned to campus for the fall semester, Ibanez said, and kinks with the new fire system were still being worked out.

A fire alarm evacuated the building Monday, disrupting the first day of classes for students, and multiple alarms were reported over the previous weekend. Ibanez, however, said electrical and fire alarm contractors were working to correct the issues with the alarm system.

Like many other construction projects on campus, the Funger Hall renovations came in $200,000 under budget, due to the lower cost of labor and supplies during the recession, said Executive Vice President and Treasurer Lou Katz.