Organizations launch political media

Less than a month after the Princeton Review ranked GW the most politically active school in the country, two student-led publications are looking to foster political debate on campus – albeit on different sides of the fence.

The Blue Line and The Colonial Review are new liberal and conservative outlets, respectively. The Colonial Review, the newest of the two, is based on current publications at other colleges, including the Dartmouth Review and the Cornell Review. Although the publication is currently in its “embryonic stages,” The Colonial Review was designed to “further advance the collective conservative opinion on campus,” according to its founder, sophomore Joe Gumaer.

“The Colonial Review is to be a conservative print publication that will synthesize the different and sometimes competing elements of GW’s conservative movement into one common voice,” Gumaer said in an e-mail.

While The Review will focus solely on national issues, junior Matt Ingoglia, the College Democrats’ communication director and administrator of The Blue Line, said the 2-year-old blog will supplement its current posts on national issues with campus issues when the school year begins.

“We will cover everything from new campus administration policy to new Obama policy,” Ingoglia said in an e-mail. “The focus will be for the feelings or expertise of the student writers.”

Launched in August 2008 to discuss the presidential campaign, The Blue Line had laid largely dormant until now. Ingoglia said he pushed for its revival to foster debate and “avoid the temptation to tune out” after the Democratic victory.

Though its first writers are all members of the College Republicans, Gumaer said the publication is not affiliated with the CRs. The Blue Line is affiliated with the GW College Democrats, however, and writers for the blog must be members of the organization.

“We are not telling anyone what they have to write about, but they must have a progressive view in whatever they write,” Ingoglia said. “We hope to be the definite go-to voice for democratic discourse on campus.”