Woman arrested in Ivory Tower

A woman was arrested this week in connection with one of more than 12 burglaries that have been reported in GW residence halls in the past two weeks.

University Police Department officials have also captured video of another suspect in South Hall, and a still image from the footage has been sent out in an Infomail alert. The person in the image is a black male, estimated to be between the ages of 18 and 22 and is around 6 feet tall.

UPD is launching an investigation to see if any of the incidents are connected, though they occurred on different days and at different times. UPD Chief Dolores Stafford said in an e-mail that additional security staff will be on patrol during move-in weekend and will be patrolling the residence halls as much as possible.

Sophomore Lindsey Henry was napping in a friend’s room in Ivory Tower Aug. 23 when she woke up to a female stranger in the room. The woman claimed to be helping someone move in, and Henry asked her to leave. Henry’s friend later realized a wallet had been stolen and called UPD. Henry was able to identify the woman, who was arrested by UPD and transported for processing by Metropolitan Police Department officers. The Hatchet attempted to obtain a copy of a police report documenting the incident, but an employee at the Second District’s police station said she could not find it.

Senior Christian Barrera discovered that a laptop and iPod had been removed from his Ivory Tower room on Aug. 19. Though he said he locked his door when he left the room to go to work, he found it ajar around 6:45 p.m. and his things had been moved around, he said. Barrera said GW Housing Programs told him many different people had access to the rooms, and UPD suggested he file a report with MPD.

“I just think that there should be better security for the transition period,” Barrera said.

Another student who was at the scene of the arrest and requested anonymity said a computer, wallet and sunglasses were stolen from his room in Ivory Tower on Aug. 22.

In nearly all of the reported burglaries, the victim said the door was unlocked or they were unsure if they or their roommates had unlocked the door, according to the Infomail sent to the GW community. Stafford said students should make sure to keep tabs on their property, lock their rooms when they are out or sleeping, and not to let strangers into the residence halls.

Emily Cahn and Amy D’Onofrio contributed to this report.