Sorority rush, service event clash

Scheduling conflicts have thrown a wrench into the plans of female students who planned on both rushing a sorority and participating in the Freshmen Day of Service.

The Day of Service and Panhellenic sorority recruitment, two of the largest activities freshmen participate in during the fall semester, are scheduled to take place on the same day, Sept. 11. About 20 percent of women are members of Greek-letter life on campus.

The events were scheduled with a half-hour gap in between, with Freshmen Day of Service ending at 4:30 p.m., and sorority recruitment beginning at 5 p.m.

Shannon Donahue, the freshman service coordinator, said in an e-mail that while the closing event of Freshmen Day of Service – a candlelight vigil – will take place after the start of sorority recruitment, “service activities will take place early in the day and should not impact a freshman’s participation in sorority recruitment.”

Student activities director Tim Miller said that students will be able to attend both activities.

“While we do realize that it will be a full day for women participating in both activities, there is enough flexibility in the schedule to support students’ interests in participating in both events,” Miller said in an e-mail.

Already, 25 percent of the freshman class have signed up to participate in Freshmen Day of Service, Donahue said, who added she thinks many more will sign up.

Freshmen Day of Service may also find itself needing to overcome another hurdle, as the activity is scheduled on a Friday, when many freshmen students have classes.

“Hopefully we will have some faculty who will see a worthwhile connection between their course and having their students participate in the day of service,” Senior Vice President Robert Chernak said in an e-mail.

Chernak said nothing could be done on the administration’s end to change the date of Freshmen Day of Service. ServiceNation, an organization dedicated to promoting civic engagement, chose the date.

For those students unable or unwilling to participate in Freshmen Day of Service, Donahue said some service opportunities will also be offered on Sept. 12 for those with recruitment or class commitments.